Written by Julio Martinez
Image credit: CASA 101‘s Always Running
- Newly formed Independent Writers Lab will be hosting a reading series of four new plays at The Fountain Theatre December 3-5, 2019. The series will feature readings of original works from established playwrights Carla Ching (Nomad Motel, Atlantic Theater Company), Bernardo Cubria (The Giant Void In My Soul, Ammunition Theater Company), Joy Gregory (The Shaggs, Playwrights Horizons), and Charlotte Miller (Thieves, Rising Phoenix Rep/Rattlestick). The line-up of original works is as follows: Untitled Play I’m Writing So I Don’t Die from Rage by Carla Ching, directed by Jen Chang (Dec 3); Crabs In A Bucket by Bernardo Cubria, directed by Felix Solis (Dec 4); Stupid Girls by Charlotte Miller, directed by Hannah Wolf (Dec 4); and The Lonely Ape by Joy Gregory, directed by Randee Trabitz (Dec 5). The readings will be free, reservations can be made at: email@example.com
- CASA 0101 Theater and Tía Chucha’s Centro Cultural & Bookstore’s premiere of Always Running, based on the memoir written by, and adapted for the stage by, Luis J. Rodriguez, directed by Hector Rodriguez, has been extended, now running through Nov 24. Stars Alex Alpharaoh, Venancio Bermudez, Sammy Carrera, Rachel Lemos, Angel Lizarraga, Joshua Nicholas, Alexa Ortiz, Jesus Rodriguez, Rufino Romero and Haylee Sanchez.
- Numi Opera completes its inaugural season with its second production, Erich Korngold’s first opera, Der Ring Des Polykrates, which he composed in 1914. Directed by Numi Opera Executive Director Gail R. Gordon and conducted by Francesco Milioto, the rarely performed opera will have two performances on Dec 19 and 22 in Zipper Hall at the Colburn School in downtown Los Angeles. The production will feature singers Shana Blake Hill, Scott Ramsay, Roberto Perlas Gómez, Alex Boyer and Emily Rosenberg.
- Sacred Fools Theatre announces that the The Joe & Joshua Show will be back for 2020. Comedy duo Joe Hernandez-Kolski & Joshua Silverstein delve into their blend of sketch comedy, spoken word poetry and beatboxing. Plays Jan. 16, Feb 13, Mar 12 & Apr 9 on the Broadwater Second Stage in Hollywood.
- The Lythgoe Family is presenting a British Panto updated production of Snow White Christmas, book by Kris Lythgoe, directed by Bonnie Lythgoe, choreographed by Napoleon & Tabitha D’umo, with musical direction by Michael Orland. Cast stars Neil Patrick Harris (onscreen Magic Mirror), Olivia Sanabia (Snow White), Michelle Williams (Wicked Queen), Michel Campion (The Prince), Garrett Clayton (The Huntsman) and Jared Gertner (Muddles). Opens Dec 13 at Pasadena Civic Auditorium.
- Director Guillermo Cienfuegos and cast members discuss the premiere of Neil McGowan’s Disposable Necessities, a comedic look at greed and the value of life…and desire. Opens Dec 14 at Rogue Machine @ The Electric Lodge in Venice. Cast includes Billy Flynn, Darrett Sanders, Claire Blackwelder.
Julio Martinez hosts Arts in Review, celebrating the best in theater and cabaret in the Greater Los Angeles area, airing Fridays (2-2:30pm), on KPFK 90.7FM.