On 7:00 P.M. this Sunday in Culver City, LA Women’s Theatre Festival will be taking over the Ivy Substation (home of The Actors’ Gang) for a series of excerpted works. This is the sixth annual program that LAWTF has held in Culver City.
The evening’s theme is “Looking Back, Stepping Forward” and will feature five of LAWTF’s performers:
- KAREN BANKHEAD in Etta Mae Mumphries: And the Rest Is History. Etta Mae Johnson, better known as “The Black Forrest Gump” is full of wisdom, humor, and anecdotes of her influence on celebrities. She knows everybody who is somebody.
- DINA MORRONE in The Italian in Me. A young woman leaves her Italian grandmother behind on their rural Canadian farm and moves to the Eternal City, Rome, in search of La Dolce Vita and a career in Italian cinema.
- CHERAY O’NEAL in Journey This. This piece takes the audience down a humorous and soul-searching odyssey and raises the question, “Is happiness a choice or a by-product?”
- CLARINDA ROSS in From My Grandmother’s Grandmother’s Grandmother Unto Me. This storytelling piece chronicles the joys and sorrows of five generations of Appalachian women.
- THE LINDZ in WASP. This artist explores relationship-oriented, socially conscious, goofy, insightful, sardonic and riotous spoke word poetry.
Tickets for the performance are $20 in advance, $25 at the door.