Rogue Machine won more Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle awards than any other company — five plus a special honor for its season — at LADCC”s 43rd annual ceremony Monday.
The Odyssey Theatre and Evidence Room shared four awards for their co-production of Margo Veil, and the Odyssey also won a separate award for sustained excellence. Ebony Repertory Theatre received four nods, all for A Raisin in the Sun in the production’s original run last year at the Nate Holden, and Center Theatre Group garnered four awards for four separate shows.
Among individual productions, the four won by Margo Veil and A Raisin in the Sun led the pack. Margo Veil shared outstanding production honors with Rogue Machine’s Small Engine Repair, which won a total of three awards, and A Raisin in the Sun shared outstanding revival honors with Reprise’s Cabaret and Theatre Banshee’s The Crucible.
Anne Gee Byrd won acting honors for both leading (All My Sons) and featured (I Never Sang for My Father) performances.
The ceremony was held at A Noise Within in Pasadena. The hosts were Jason Graae and Lesli Margherita.
The recipients of the 2011 Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle Awards are as follows:
- Margo Veil, Odyssey Theatre Ensemble and Evidence Room, Odyssey Theatre
- Small Engine Repair, Rogue Machine, Theatre/Theater
McCulloh Award for Revival
- A Raisin in the Sun, Ebony Repertory Theatre, Nate Holden Performing Arts Center
- Cabaret, Reprise Theatre Company, Freud Playhouse
- The Crucible, Theatre Banshee
- Andrew Block, Small Engine Repair, Rogue Machine at Theatre/Theater
- Sean Branney, The Crucible, Theatre Banshee
- Bart DeLorenzo, Margo Veil, the Odyssey Theatre Ensemble and Evidence Room at the Odyssey Theatre
- David Harrower, Blackbird, Rogue Machine at Theatre/Theater
- John Pollono, Small Engine Repair, Rogue Machine at Theatre/Theater
- Dakin Matthews, The Capulets & the Montagues, Andak Stage Company at NewPlace Studio Theatre
- Gerald Sternbach, The Robber Bridegroom, International City Theatre
- Mike Wilkins, Jerry Springer: The Opera, Chance Theater
- Andy Blankenbuehler, Bring It On: The Musical, Center Theatre Group at the Ahmanson Theatre
- Mark Nutter, Re-Animator: The Musical, Steve Allen Theater
- Sam Anderson, Blackbird, Rogue Machine at Theatre/Theater
- Anne Gee Byrd, All My Sons, Matrix Theatre
- L. Scott Caldwell, A Raisin in the Sun, Ebony Repertory Theatre at the Nate Holden Performing Arts Center
- Edi Gathegi, Superior Donuts, Geffen Playhouse
- Lisa O’Hare, Cabaret, Reprise Theatre Company at Freud Playhouse
- Anne Gee Byrd, I Never Sang for My Father, New American Theatre at the McCadden Theatre
- Dermot Crowley, The Cripple of Inishmaan, Center Theatre Group and Druid and Atlantic Theater Company at the Kirk Douglas Theatre
- Deidrie Henry, A Raisin in the Sun, Ebony Repertory Theatre at the Nate Holden Performing Arts Center
- Casey Kramer, Dolly West’s Kitchen, Theatre Banshee
- A Raisin in the Sun, Ebony Repertory Theatre at the Nate Holden Performing Arts Center
- Margo Veil, Odyssey Theatre Ensemble and Evidence Room at the Odyssey Theatre
- Tom Dugan, Nazi Hunter “” Simon Wiesenthal, Theatre 40 at the Reuben Cordova Theatre
- Charlayne Woodard, The Night Watcher, Center Theatre Group at the Kirk Douglas Theatre
- Richard Hoover, House of the Rising Son, Ensemble Studio Theatre””LA at the Atwater Village Theatre
- Paule Constable, Les Misérables, Center Theatre Group at the Ahmanson Theatre
- Jeremy Pivnick, House of the Rising Son, Ensemble Studio Theatre””LA at the Atwater Village Theatre
- Philippe Guillotel, Iris, Cirque du Soleil at Kodak Theatre
- John Zalewski, Margo Veil, Odyssey Theatre Ensemble and Evidence Room at the Odyssey Theatre
- Eric Anderson (fight choreography), Gospel According to First Squad, Los Angeles Theatre Ensemble at Powerhouse Theatre
- John Boesche (projection design), Radiance: The Passion of Marie Curie, Geffen Playhouse
- Tony Doublin, John Naulin, John Buechler, Tom Devlin, & Greg McDougall (special effects), Re-Animator: The Musical, Steve Allen Theater
- Shana Carroll, Boris Verkhovsky, Pierre Masse (acrobatic performance design), Iris, Cirque du Soleil at Kodak Theatre
Unique Theatrical Event
- Standing on Ceremony, Joan Stein and Stuart Ross in association with the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center’s Lily Tomlin/Jane Wagner Cultural Arts Center at Renberg Theatre
The Ted Schmitt Award for the world premiere of an outstanding new play was awarded to David Wiener for Extraordinary Chambers. The award was accompanied by an offer to publish by Samuel French, Inc.
The Polly Warfield Award for an excellent season in a small to mid-size theater was awarded to Rogue Machine. The award was accompanied by an honorarium, funded by the Nederlander Organization.
The Bob Z Award for career achievement in set design was awarded to Kurt Boetcher.
The Angstrom Award for career achievement in lighting design was awarded to Lap Chi Chu. The award was accompanied by an honorarium, funded by Angstrom Lighting.
The Margaret Harford Award for sustained excellence in theater was awarded to the Odyssey Theatre.Â The award was accompanied by an honorarium, funded by contributions from the theatrical community.
The Joel Hirschhorn Award for outstanding achievement in musical theater was awarded to Lee Martino.Â The award was accompanied by an honorarium, funded by an anonymous donor.
The Milton Katselas Award for career or special achievement in direction was awarded to Matt Shakman. The award was accompanied by an honorarium, funded by Katselas Theatre Company.
The Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle was founded in 1969.Â It is dedicated to excellence in theatrical criticism, and to the encouragement and improvement of theater in Greater Los Angeles.
The 2011 voting members of the LADCC consisted of:Â F. Kathleen Foley (L.A. Times), Shirle Gottlieb (Gazette Newspapers, StageHappenings.com), Hoyt Hilsman (Back Stage, The Huffington Post), Mayank Keshaviah (L.A. Weekly), Amy Lyons (Back Stage, L.A. Weekly), Dany Margolies (Back Stage), Terry Morgan (Variety), Steven Leigh Morris (L.A. Weekly), David C. Nichols (L.A. Times, Back Stage), Sharon Perlmutter (TalkinBroadway.com), Melinda Schupmann (Back Stage, ShowMag.com), Madeleine Shaner (Park La Brea News/Beverly Press, Back Stage), Les Spindle (Back Stage), Bob Verini (Variety), and Neal Weaver (Back Stage).Â Joining for 2012 is Pauline Adamek (L.A. Weekly).